Skip to primary navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Our Equipment

Learn About The Equipment That Rides Our Rails

The most recent additions to the Adirondack Railroad’s rolling stock are a dome car and a dining car.

Our vintage dome car was built in 1955 for the Union Pacific Railroad. Fully restored before delivery to Utica, there are 8 dining tables, seating 4 each, in the dome area.

Our dining car, built in 1948 for the New York Central RR, seats 48 persons at 12 tables of 4. The functional kitchen is complete as this car was in use on Amtrak as recently as 4 years ago.

The ASR acquired the dome car through the use of generous grants, while the dining car was donated by Amtrak. These cars are planned to be in service beginning this summer. Along with regular trips, both cars will be available for charter use.

a train is parked on the side of a building

Dome Car Exterior

a train that is sitting on a bench

Dome Car Interior

a truck that is sitting on a train track

Dining Car Exterior

a chair sitting in front of a window

Dining Car Interior

black 8255 train
8255

Built: by ALCO in Schenectady, NY

Heritage: The 8255 is a 1600 Horsepower Road Switcher built for New York Central Railroad. This locomotive ran all over New York Central lines and was eventually transferred to Penn Central in 1966. It was renumbered to 5504 for the Penn Central. It was sold to Amtrak in 1972 and renumbered to 127. It was later sold in 1981 and acquired by a private individual. NYC 8255 was restored and operated in Kansas. It was donated to the Adirondack Railway Preservation Society in 2015

Acquired: 2015

1835 train
1835

Built: MLW (Montreal Locomotive Company) (ALCO’s sister company in Canada) in mid 50’s

Heritage: CP rail in mid 80’s, sold to New Brunswick East Coast Railroad (NBCR), NBCR was then purchased by CN, CN retired the units in 2010, 1835 purchased by the ARPS’s members, friends, corporate donations and the 1845 was purchased by the Community Foundation of the Mohawk Valley

Acquired: 2011

Note: Purchase of this locomotive was made possible through a grant from the Community Foundation of Herkimer & Oneida Counties, Inc. and the Franklin Baker Fund and the Wesley & Marion Small fund.

green 1845 train
1845

Built: MLW (Montreal Locomotive Company) (ALCO’s sister company in Canada) in mid 50’s

Heritage: CP rail in mid 80’s, sold to New Brunswick East Coast Railroad (NBCR), NBCR was then purchased by CN, CN retired the units in 2010, 1835 purchased by the ARPS’s members, friends, corporate donations and the 1845 was purchased by the Community Foundation of the Mohawk Valley

Acquired: 2011

1508 train
1508

Built by: EMD in 1953

Heritage: built for ALASKA Railway, operated on ADIX since 1999

Acquired: 2010

1502 train
1502

Built by: EMD in Illinois in 1947

Heritage: built for the GM&O, sold to MBTA, then to Metro North

Acquired: 2003

705 train
705

Built by: EMD in 1941

Heritage: L&N, at ADIX since 1992, currently privately owned by a rail preservationist

Acquired: 1992

silver spring train
Silver Spring

Note: The private car Silver Spring was built by the Pullman Company in 1925 and ran on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Features a luxurious interior with mahogany paneling, wall to wall carpeting and modern kitchen, heating and air conditioning.

coaches train
Coaches

Built for: Canadian National Railway – 1950’s

Heritage: VIA in the 70’s

Acquired: 1996