Our Equipment

Learn about the equipment that rides our rails.


8255

Built: by ALCO in Schenectady, NY

Heritage: The 8255 is a 1600 Horsepower Road Switcher built for New York Central Railroad. This locomotive ran all over New York Central lines and was eventually transferred to Penn Central in 1966. It was renumbered to 5504 for the Penn Central. It was sold to Amtrak in 1972 and renumbered to 127. It was later sold in 1981 and acquired by a private individual. NYC 8255 was restored and operated in Kansas. It was donated to the Adirondack Railway Preservation Society in 2015

Acquired: 2015


1835

Built: MLW (Montreal Locomotive Company) (ALCO’s sister company in Canada) in mid 50’s

Heritage: CP rail in mid 80’s, sold to New Brunswick East Coast Railroad (NBCR), NBCR was then purchased by CN, CN retired the units in 2010, 1835 purchased by the ARPS’s members, friends, corporate donations and the 1845 was purchased by the Community Foundation of the Mohawk Valley

Acquired: 2011

Note: Purchase of this locomotive was made possible through a grant from the Community Foundation of Herkimer & Oneida Counties, Inc. and the Franklin Baker Fund and the Wesley & Marion Small fund.


1845

Built: MLW (Montreal Locomotive Company) (ALCO’s sister company in Canada) in mid 50’s

Heritage: CP rail in mid 80’s, sold to New Brunswick East Coast Railroad (NBCR), NBCR was then purchased by CN, CN retired the units in 2010, 1835 purchased by the ARPS’s members, friends, corporate donations and the 1845 was purchased by the Community Foundation of the Mohawk Valley

Acquired: 2011


1508

Built by: EMD in 1953

Heritage: built for ALASKA Railway, operated on ADIX since 1999

Acquired: 2010


1502

Built by: EMD in Illinois in 1947

Heritage: built for the GM&O, sold to MBTA, then to Metro North

Acquired: 2003


6076

Built by: EMD in Lagrange, IL.

Heritage: Built in 1959 for the Pennsylvania Railroad under the number 7249. It was transferred to Penn Central in 1968 and then to Conrail in 1976. Conrail sold it to Champion Industries as an industrial switcher in 1978. In 1999 it was acquired by a private individual and underwent repairs in Rome, NY. In 2002 it made its way to Utica, NY to be used on the Adirondack Scenic Railroad.

Acquired: 2002


8223

Built: by ALCO in 1950 in Schenectady, NY.

Heritage: Was built for the New York Central. At the Penn Central merger it was renumbered to 5223. AMTRAK bought it in 1972 and it was renumbered to 100. In 1981 it was bought by a private individual who renumbered it back to its original number, 8223.

Acquired: 1993


705

Built by: EMD in 1941

Heritage: L&N, at ADIX since 1992, currently privately owned by a rail preservationist

Acquired: 1992


Caboose

Note: Originally part of the Boston and Maine Railroad, built in the 1920’s and rebuilt in the 1950’s. Features a small kitchenette, bathroom, lounge area, and cupola.


Silver Spring

Note: The private car Silver Spring was built by the Pullman Company in 1925 and ran on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Features a luxurious interior with mahogany paneling, wall to wall carpeting and modern kitchen, heating and air conditioning.


Coaches

Built for: Canadian National Railway – 1950’s

Heritage: VIA in the 70’s

Acquired: 1996


Map of All Locations

Click on the map locations for more information about all of our stations!

Utica Union Station
321 Main Street Utica, NY 13501 1-800-819-2291

DSC_1181-630x330

Thendara Station 2568 State Route 28 Thendara, NY 13472 1-800-819-2291

ThendaraLayover

Lake Placid Station 242 Station Street Lake Placid, NY 12946 1-800-819-2291 LP depot - darkened- 741x491

Saranac Lake Union Depot 42 Depot Street Suite #1 Saranac Lake, NY 12983 1-800-819-2291

saranaclakeStation


Contact Us!

Have a question about our trains or comments about your recent visit, contact us!


1 + 10 =